Monday 12 March 2012

"Jerry" Reconnects with David E Kelly whilst "Ted goes Bonkers"!!

I will start by admitting that even though I watch Harry's Law, however haphazardly, I have never truly genuinely enjoyed an episode for the show itself. By this I mean, I have never really been wowed by any of the story-lines concocted and I've never really taken a liking to any of the characters so much so that I would continually watch the show just for the characters; for instance with a show like House Md.




***SPOILERS AHEAD***


However, This week for the first time in over 20 episodes of the show, I truly enjoyed "Harry's Law" for the show itself. Firstly, this episode was not the typical episode- it had much deeper character involvement than the usual shallow exploration of the cast.. particularly for the character "Adam" who is probably now the moral center of the show. As an Actor, I've never really seen much emotional depth from Nathan Corddry. the closest thing was perhaps the K&R episodes in Studio 60 on the Sunset strip, which by the way is a bloody awesome show, so it was good to see him perform in this capacity, and do it well.




Secondly, maybe I'm just a sucker for Boston Legal, but how awesome was it to have Christian Clemenson back on television, and on a David E Kelly show no less acting as an attorney. He definitely gave me some laughs during this episode, particularly his reference to the time he hummed the Boston Legal theme song at the start of the credits for a show( what a loon). What was even more brilliant was that in the end, he also went a little cuckoo... kind of brought memories to early "Jerry" on BL.




For all the "Better of Ted" fans out there... it must have been fantastic seeing Jay Harrington(Ted) back on television. He definitely gave us some laughs on the prematurely cancelled ABC series. However, Ted returned in a much different capacity on Harry's Law. He was kind of bonkers, and he pulled it off well. I mean, he wasn't Mr. Hinks (Michael Emerson on the Practice) but he was able to pull off the disturbed/sane angle and it was a welcome sight. Far too often the character is one or the other. 
The story-line involving his character was rather interesting, however perhaps the most intriguing aspect was the ending. In Boston Legal, a similar arc was developed in which the stalker ended up killed by the ex-spouse. I feared mirroring from David E Kelley which he has done far too often, and when "Ted" ends up dead at the end of the episode, I thought- REALLY?!! However, we learn that the gun was actually loaded by... WAIT FOR IT..... The ex-spouses Daughter- and to make it juicier, we kind of get this disturbed vibe from her too. Like Father like daughter I guess.




By the way, also one of the cases involves a lady suing a guy for inducing her into sex under false pretenses. This arc also produces some interesting and humorous moments.


All in All- A good episode. I'd give it 8.5/10. 



No comments:

Post a Comment